WordPress is well on its way to releasing WordPress 6.1 later this year by releasing a maintenance update today. WordPress 6.0.2 is a minor update with a total of 20 fixes: 12 bug fixes on the WordPress core, 5 bug fixes for the block editor, and 3 security fixes. Here are all of the details:
WordPress Core Bug Fixes:
The following core tickets were fixed (note: not all 12 are listed for security reasons):
- #56112 – Allow remote pattern registration in theme.json when core patterns are disabled
- #56184 – register_block_type does not recognize “ancestor” block setting
- #56210 – What’s new page design issue in core WordPress
- #56225 – `@since 6.1.0` appearing in 6.0.1
- #56271 – Custom Template Parts are Duplicated, rather than being updated (PHP 5.6)
- #56402 – Moment.js should be upgraded
- #56414 – Backport bug fixes from Gutenberg into Core for WP 6.0.2
WordPress Block Editor Bug Fixes:
The following block editor issues were fixed in the WordPress 6.0.2 maintenance release:
- PR40656 – Remove sticky posts setting when we inherit the query
- PR41101 – [Block Library – Query Loop]: Move sticky control to separate file
- PR42539 – Docs: Add variations key to block.json JSON schema definition
- PR42975 – Block Styles: Truncate long button labels
- PR43221 – Prevent query block from looping in classic themes
WordPress Security Fixes:
This update fixed three security issues. Security issues aren’t usually put in the release note to protect vulnerable sites.
Should You Upgrade?
We normally recommend upgrading WordPress within a few days of the update. We’ve already started rolling out the update to some of our maintenance clients’ sites, as well as our own. This release has some security fixes so it’s worthwhile to upgrade.
Sites that require near 100% uptime or sites with old or abandoned plug-ins should consider testing the update on a staging server. The same is true for anyone that has concerns about a potential impact on their site. If you don’t have access to a staging server, we can help – just reach out to us for a complimentary consultation. We can recommend a solution that best suits your needs. Clients on our hosting plus maintenance plans have a staging server available for us to do the testing for them.